Man
Slide fotografica
ShareFacebookTwitterGoogle+LinkedInemail
Home » Nature and history » Man » History

The Venetian Rule

Under the rule of Serenissima (1420-1797), there are no significant institutional changes.
Both Feltre and Belluno maintain their previous administrative system, according to which the power is exercised by the two Major Councils, whose aristocratic nature is never questioned.
However, the local governments are under the trusteeship of the Venetian rector, holding the office of Podestà and Captain and having legal, financial, and military functions.
A particularly significant and traumatic event is represented by the destruction of the town of Feltre in 1510, after the Venetian defeat in Agnadello by the League of Cambrai.
As a consequence, important works of reconstruction begin and the Renaissance buildings we can still admire today are built on the pre-existing medieval plan of the town. A period of peace and prosperity follows: during this period, intense industrial and commercial activities flourish in the towns of Belluno and Feltre and in the surroundings.
The local natural resources are precious for the needs of Venice: Caiada forest provides the necessary timber for the state shipbuilding industry, while the mines of Valle Imperina become important for the copper industry. During the Venetian rule, the piedmont belt of Val Belluna is enriched with a considerable number of villas and masons, which harmoniously merge with the surrounding landscape.
Vedana, Certosa's interior
(photo by PN Dolomiti Bellunesi)
Feltre's old town center
(photo by PN Dolomiti Bellunesi)
Belluno
(photo by Nino Martino)
2017 © Ente Parco Nazionale delle Dolomiti Bellunesi
Piazzale Zancanaro, 1 - 32032 Feltre (BL)
Tel 0439/3328 - Fax 0439/332999
E-mail: info@dolomitipark.it - Posta certificata
Siamo certificati ISO 9001 - 14001 - EMAS EMAS Regione Veneto
Netpartner: Parks.it