The best way to visit the town is to leave one’s car in the large Lambioi parking area and use the modern escalator leading to the square of the cathedral, in the heart of the old town center.
The “red palace”, seat of the Municipality, the XVI century Palazzo dei Rettori, now the seat of the Prefecture, the Palazzo dei Visconti (today auditorium), an anciently fortified palace where the bishops-counts were located, and the Cathedral, dedicated to San Martino, on which stands the elegant bell tower, designed by Filippo Juvarra and built between 1732 and 1743, overlook the square.
Nearby there is Palazzo Piloni, seat of the provincial administration, which houses XVI century frescoes by Cesare Vecellio. Also worth a visit the Civic Museum and the XVI century Palazzo Crepadona, which hosts exhibitions and cultural events.
Characteristic is the small piazza delle Erbe, characterized by the XIV century fountain of S. Lucano, which houses the fruit market.
A must for a walk in the center of Belluno is Piazza dei Martiri, with the characteristic “liston“. The square, which owes its current name to the tragic events of the Resistance, for which the city obtained the gold medal for military value, overlooks the XVI church of S. Rocco, near which there is a plaque commemorating Dino Buzzati.
Municipality: Belluno (BL)